The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions for safe weight lifting:
- Remember to always wear sturdy shoes that provide traction when lifting weights. Also make sure that any weight machines are in good working order.
- Keep your back straight when lifting. Also remember to be careful when carrying weights around the weight room.
- Always ask someone to spot you when lifting very heavy weights.
- Always exhale while you lift the weights upward.
- Limit each set of muscles to only three workouts each week.
- If your muscles start to hurt, stop lifting.