Look for these warning signs of an unhealthy fad diet, courtesy of the American Academy of Family Physicians:
- A diet that promises very fast weight loss -- anything more than a pound or two per week.
- A diet that promises weight loss without changing diet habits or engaging in an exercise program.
- A diet that is promoted by "scientific" testimonials and pictures of "before" and "after" success stories.
- A diet that involves expensive seminars, medications, or pre-made meals.
- A diet that focuses on very few acceptable foods, and doesn't focus on a healthy, balanced diet.
- A diet that points to simple explanations drawn from confusing research.