The U.S. National Library of Medicine says these people are at greater risk for iron deficiency, and should ask their doctor about getting enough iron-rich foods:
- Menstruating women, and those with especially heavy periods.
- Women who are pregnant or who have recently had a baby.
- People who are long-distance runners.
- People with a bleeding ulcer or intestinal bleeding disorder.
- People who donate blood often.
- People with conditions that reduce their ability to absorb nutrients from food.