Prepare your diabetic child for time away from home with these recommendations from the American Diabetes Association:
- Pack a bag with everything your child will need, including insulin, syringes, a meter, test strips and a log book. Pack extras of everything.
- If traveling for several hours, pack several snacks, juices and glucose tablets.
- If your child will be changing time zones, talk to your doctor about how to adjust the insulin schedule accordingly.
- Make sure your child wears a medical ID bracelet that notes diabetes.
- Make sure your child checks glucose levels more frequently away from home.
- Make sure that any adults accompanying your child understand diabetes and how to manage it.